I’ve always strongly believed in making a positive contribution to our beautiful planet and putting my wallet where my mouth is, so to speak.
From the very first day my original online eco business Sustainababy opened its virtual doors in July 2010, and long before I made anything that resembled a profit, I’ve donated a portion of revenue to my environmental charity of choice, Trees for Life.
These days, a tree is planted from every sale of my ‘Think Global Act Local’ eGuide and greenHOUSE eCourse. It’s just one way my small business can make an even bigger difference in this world.
I’m immensely proud that my micro business has funded the planting of a small forest of several hundred trees in my home state, South Australia through the Trees for Life ‘Trees for Carbon’ program.
All trees and shrubs sequester carbon as they grow. The Trees for Carbon program has the following environmental benefits:
1. The plantings are protected from clearing for at least 30 years and therefore remove carbon from the atmosphere for this period
2. Cleared land is restored by planting multiple mixed native species
3. The plantings promote improved biodiversity, habitat and ecosystems
4. The plantings promote improved soil, air and water quality
5. All plantings use seed obtained from local remnant vegetation to conserve genetic diversity.
Trees for Life was formed in 1981 by a group of concerned volunteers who wanted to practically address South Australia’s devastating land clearing record (one of the worst State’s in the Nation!). They sought to undo the damage by reintroducing native plants to degraded areas and caring for the bush that remained. Each year over 1 million seedlings are grown, and to date over 29 million seedlings have been propagated.